Here in the Greater Birmingham area, we deal with all sorts of wildlife issues. Among these issues are rodent infestations. At Guardian Pest & Wildlife Control, we know how difficult it can be to get rid of a rodent infestation in your home or business. That’s why we are proud to say that we offer exceptional rodent removal services to our valued customers as well as exclusion services that will keep these rodents from gaining access into their homes in the future once we have successfully removed them from the property.
Rodents Common in Birmingham, Alabama
In Birmingham, AL, we deal with a few different rodents on a daily basis. We would like to introduce you to the three most common rodents that we stumble upon.
– Roof Rats: These slender, athletic rats are commonly found in Alabama. They will infiltrate you home in search of food and water. You will most likely see them in your attic and even within the walls of your home.
– Norway Rats: Norway rats are far more stocky than roof rats. They live in burrows that you may find in basements, crawlspaces and other low lying areas. They only climb if they have to.
– House Mice: These small rodents are also common in AL. They suffer from poor vision which is why you will usually find them in small, tight places where they can use their whiskers to feel their way around.
Diseases Spread By Mice & Rats to Humans
There is a significant health risk that is associated with rodents because of all the diseases that they carry. They don’t only transmit diseases, but they are also indirectly involved in spreading illness. The fact that they usually prefer to live in such close proximity to humans, make a rodent infestation extremely dangerous. Some of the diseases that they carry and spread include the following:
– Plague: Rodents are notorious for spreading the dangerous disease known as the plague. It has caused a significant amount of deaths in Europe and other areas of the world in the past. You usually contract this disease from fleas that have caught it from rodents. You can also catch it from the infected animal itself.
– Hantavirus: The droppings and urine of rodents carries a dangerous disease known as the hantavirus. This is an extremely dangerous respiratory disease that can lead to death.
– Lymphocytic Chorio-Meningitis: This serious disease is spread from the dust that is kicked up when cleaning up rodent droppings.
Not only are these animals a serious health risk, but they can cause a significant amount of damage to your home as well when they are left to their devices. They will chew on your electrical wiring, causing a serious risk of electrical fire, damage your insulation with their urine and droppings as well as chew on items like books, clothing and more. Not to mention the fact that they get into and contaminate food for yourself as well as your pets.
In addition to rodent control and removal, Guardian Pest & Wildlife Control also offers rodent exclusion protection that seals up any and all entryways that rodents could use to invade your home. We utilize metal screens around crawlspaces, basements, attic gables and roof lines as well as copper screens and vent covers to seal breathing and other holes in addition to applying foam sealant around plumbing, AC pipes etc. to prevent rodents and other pests from entering your residence.